As a leader in lactation education and promotion, the mission of the Breastfeeding Center of Greater Washington (“BCGW”) is to advance breastfeeding and successful parenting throughout the DC metro area by providing free and low cost professional instruction to families in a supportive community space.
As a partner to the executive director and other board members, the Board President will support and sustain the work of BCGW, and provide governance leadership and strategic support.
Specific responsibilities include:
Leadership and Governance
- Leading the Board and Executive Committee to carry out its governance functions
- Ensuring the Board has approved policies to help ensure sound and compliant governance and management of the organization
- Partnering with the Executive Director to lead the development and implementation of impact metrics
- Assessing the performance of the Board and its committees
- Partnering with the Executive Director to help ensure the Board’s directives, policies, and resolutions are carried out
- Working with the Executive Director in cultivating and soliciting major foundation grants and individual gifts
- Coordinating an annual performance review of the Executive Director
- Setting priorities and creating agendas for meetings of the Board, and leading the Board’s strategic plan development and implementation
- Serving as an ambassador of the organization and advocating its mission to internal and external stakeholders
- Recruiting, interviewing and nominating board members while ensuring BCGW’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities BCGW aims to serve
- Scheduling, drafting agendas for, presiding over, and facilitating Board meetings
- Ensuring that 100% of BCGW’s board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity
- As a board member, approving BCGW’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities, including:
- Duty of Care: ensuring prudent use of BCGW’s assets
- Duty of Loyalty: ensuring that board resolutions and BCGW’s activities are advancing BCGW’s mission; Recognize and disclose conflicts of interest.
- Duty of Compliance: ensuring that BCGW obeys applicable laws and regulations; follows its own bylaws; and that the nonprofit adheres to its stated mission.
BCGW’s Board President (and board members) will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held monthly.
This is an opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the vision and values of BCGW. The selected Board President will bring leadership and governance skills, as well as a commitment to provide meaningful support to the executive director in growing BCGW.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Executive leadership accomplishments in nonprofit, business or government sector
- Experience as a nonprofit board member or board president
- A commitment to and understanding of BCGW’s beneficiaries and mission, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Excellent written and oral communication skills coupled with a natural affinity for public speaking
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of BCGW’s beneficiaries
Service on BCGW’s board of directors is without remuneration.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Gina Caruso at gina[at]breastfeedingcenter[dot]org