The Breastfeeding Center, located at 1020 19th St NW has been connected to Washington parents for decades. Offering a robust educational curriculum, support groups, private consultations and product sales and rentals have made their offerings an essential and appreciated right of passage into parenthood for locals. Despite the shutdown, The Breastfeeding Center’s commitment to DC families remains in full force. Their responsibility to this same community is one they take quite seriously. Center management is pleased to announce and offer the following at no fee to furloughed workers:
- Free weight checks for baby (M-F 8:30am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm)
- Free space to pump/nurse (M-F 8:30am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm)
- Free or reduced-rate private consultations (M-F 8:30am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm)
- Free pump rentals (limited supply; M-F 8:30am-6pm, Sat 10am-4pm)
- Free support group led by IBCLC and other relevant providers (Thursdays at 11:30am-1pm)
- Free snacks and support (Thursdays at 11:30am-2:30pm)
- 20% off supplies in the boutique (Thursdays; government ID required)
- Free self-massage class by The Well (Thursday 1/24 at 1-2pm)
Executive Director, Gina Caruso, is passionate and dedicated to her team’s role in the lives the Center serves. “Shutdowns do not change the realities of new parenting. We will continue to keep our doors open including no-fee pump rentals, weigh ins and other supports that are the cornerstone of our 20+ year relationship with the community we serve. We hope parents will help spread the word — we are here and eager to reduce the stress and strain from the parenting point of view.”
As a leader in lactation education and promotion, the Center’s mission is to advance breastfeeding and successful parenting throughout the DC metro area by providing professional instruction to families in a supportive community space. They strive to fulfill the mission by providing expert-led classes, a breastfeeding boutique, a nursing/pumping lounge, a milk depot, and private consultations with Board Certified Lactation Consultants. Additionally, they offer lactation support, supplies and education to locally based private and public sector organizations.
For more information including booking consultations, renting equipment and finding support and tools call the center directly at 202-293-5182.